1. George Benson – The World Is a Ghetto – Warner Brothers Records
Over 9 mins of pure class from George Benson reminds me of my school days bunking off round a mates house listening to his mums record collection.
2. Easter Williams – Last Night Changed It All – Friends and Co
This reminds me of when I first started playing around on my older brothers decks who was into rare groove soul funk and hip hop at the time and this song was my go to track.
3. MFSB – TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia) – Philadelphia International Records
This is representing the Philly Sound and producers Gamble and Huff which I love pretty much anything they touched. This song sums up the Philly Sound for perfectly
4. Bob Marley – Could You Be Loved – Island Records
More time round a mates house discovering music when I should have been at school. This is music with a message which is just as relevant today as it was back then.
5. Atmosfear – Dancing in Outer Space – MCA
British Jazz Funk, pure goose bump business without fail for me, I just can’t get enough of this track and its still doing damage on dance floors. Southport Weekender always springs to mind when I hear this love it.
6. Herbie Hancock – Rocket – Columbia / Sony BMG
Me and my crew busting moves on our piece of lino which we carried around with us pretending to be break dancers ha ha. Rocket was my introduction to Herbie Hancock which Im truly thankful for. Herbie is a genius and I could have picked any one of his many songs but Rocket holds a special piece of me and the video is crazy!
7. Candido – Thousand Finger Man – Sold State Records
Proto House? I mean this is so far ahead of its time its unreal. So smooth and full of Jazz Funk undertones it really is a master piece.
8. Mark De Clive-Lowe – The Mission feat John Robinson – Mashibeats / Ropeadope
This is the first track on Marks CHURCH album which was released in 2014 and is another start to finish album which I always listen to all the way through. The mission tells the story of “CHURCH” and sets you up nicely for the journey into the Jazz Funk Hip Hop Soul and broken beat that is CHURCH.
9. Sunlightsquare – I believe in Miracles (Original Havanna Mix) – Sunlightsquare Records
This is a beautiful cover of one of my all time favourite records so I get to kill 2 birds with one stone here as Sunlightsquare is undoubtedly one of the finest musicians Ive come across since discovering him via this record back in 2010. If you haven’t already go check him out.
10. Louie Vega and Elements of Life – Because We Love It – Vega Records
I couldn’t make a list like this and not include something from Louie Vega and of course that is going to be a difficult task but I’ve chosen ‘Because We Love It’ which is my favourite from Louie’s grammy nominated album Louie Vega Starring XXVIII. He’s just on fire and fully deserves the nomination truly inspirational as a producer and artist.