1. Curtis Mayfield – Give Me Your Love – Curtom Records
Such an inspirational artist and an amazing storyteller. He’s one of my all-time favourite artists. This song is everything – Dramatic, Cinematic, Orchestral just beautiful.
2. Jill Scott – A Long Walk – Hidden Beach
Jilly from Philly! Love the way she uses poetry to tell a story against an infectious musical backdrop. The background vocals are just mind-blowing.
3. Frankie Beverley & Maze – Before I Let Go – Capital records
This is one of my all-time favourite records and always gets me on my feet when I hear it. The vibe and the groove in this song is so contagious.
4. Aretha Franklin – Until You Come Back To Me – Atlantic records
She’s one of my all-time favourite female voices and musical inspiration who has influenced me as an artist. Her voice is just mesmerizing. This song is very close to my heart as I sang it at auditions, it got me my first record deal and I recorded an acoustic version, which was included on my debut album Soul Organic.
5. Staple Singers – Do It Again – Curton
This song reminds me of my Dad (who is a proper soul head and is the one responsible for introducing me to some classic soul sounds at a very young age. Mavis Staple’s voice is just sublime. Those deep gospel tones give me goose bumps. This song just puts you in that kinda mood.
6. AG Thomas – The 1, 2 – ABB Soul records
In 2013 I took a year sabbatical from music and travelled to Zambia to be with my folks. This was the first song I’d listen to in the morning and so this reminds me of my time spent in the Motherland. Released 1998
7. Michael Jackson – I Can’t Help It – Epic Records
Off The Wall is one of my all time favourite albums and this song just stood out! It has signature Stevie Wonder written all over it. The intricate instrumentation and key changes is blinding! This was tbe sound track to my teenhood. Such special and fond memories.
8. Two Tons Of Fun – Just Us – Fantasy
My older brother introduced me to this song. I just love the powerhouse vocals of Martha Walsh and Izora Armstead. The arrangement and vocal delivery is so uplifting.
9. D’Angelo – Smooth from his debut album Brown Sugar – EMI
I rinsed this album when it first came out and still do to this day. His voice is just angelic and just does things to me, lol! A voice that oozes the 3 S’s…Soul, style and sex appeal. Yeah you guessed it…I love all things D’Angelo!
10. Erykah Badu – On and On – Universal Records (Kedar Entertainment)
This song introduced me to the Erykah Badu and the neo-soul movement. So fresh sounding. I love her voice, the playful lyrics and minimalistic production. It’s so hypnotic.
11. Anderson Paak – Am I Wrong – Empire
What a talent and such a breath of fresh air. This song just makes me wanna groove!