Beatservice label regular Boblebad returns with their much anticipated new album ‘Rund i kantene’. Across eight magnificent tracks, he explores cross-dimensional funk, weird jazz and polyamorous house. Boblebad, real name Ulf Moen Denneche, is a genuinely original creative and all-around production dynamo based in Oslo. He is equally adept at crafting immersive sonic textures as striking imagery and is a painter and visual artist as well as a producer. He debuted on this label last spring with ‘Vill Falafel’, and his powerfully individual music has also come on the likes of Eskimo, Full Pupp, Paper Recordings, and Aquavit Beat. Boblebad also plays the trombone for a cultured Afrobeat band and rousing, jazz-inspired big band. As such, he has deep musical roots and rich skills that all play out on this genre-defying new album. And here’s a beautiful Back To Mine 10…
1. Ulrich Schnauss – Far Away Trains Passing By This album has got it all for home listening when it comes to electronic music. A masterpiece.
Ulrich Schnauss - Between Us And Them
2. Global Goon – Cradle of History Another, but more quirky, masterpiece. Really playful stuff. Labeled in the IDM-genre but far from Autechre.
Global Goon - Cradle Of History (Full Album)
3. Wally Badarou – Words of a Mountain This album freaks me out in a good way. It’s so musical. You’re warned. Jaw dropper.
The Dachstein Angels (Words Of A Mountain)
4. Pat Metheny – Still Life (Talking) Had this on a CD back in the day. It was my favorite soundtrack when relaxing or just procrastinating. Beautiful and very intelligent music.
01.- Minuano (Six Eight) - Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking)
5. Sade – Diamond Life A guilty pleasure now. Used to listen to this on cassette as a small child, along with a lot of other music, without understanding much of the lyrics.
Hang On to Your Love (Long Version)
6. Abdullah Ibrahim – Banyana One of my all time favorite compositions is linked here. South African jazz piano legend also known as Dollar Brand.
Banyana - The Children Of Africa
7. Harald Grosskopf – Synthesist A real electronic music pioneer. Some of the tracks on this great album are still mind-blowing.
So weit, so gut
8. Stereolab – Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night Some of the tracks on this one make it my favourite Stereolab album, not an easy choice.
Blips Drips And Strips
9. Actress – Splazsh This guy and his earliest work were a great inspiration for my early beat making projects back in the day. Sent me on a tour of experimentation, trying not to follow the established “rules”.
10.Dirty Beaches – Badlands The track ‘Lord knows best’ is a very weird, funny and somehow dark track. I get back to it now and then. Now you got it too.
Dirty Beaches - Lord Knows Best
Artist:Boblebad Title:Rund i kantene (LP) Label:Beatservice Records Release:27th May 2022 Cat No:BS253 Format:Digital